Friday, December 30, 2011

Entertainment Review Of The Week: The Secret Life Of Bees


Entertainment Review Of The Week: The Secret Life Of Bees


     I had bough this book while I was in New York City as a deal with The Shack about a year ago, and I had never picked it up till now.  (I'm very busy with my book schedules.)  I wished I had read it a lot sooner.  This book is BEAUTIFUL!  The language and the diction flows so well like Kidd just weaved all together like a giant shawl that you can wrap around when you're cold and lonely.  A little girl finds love in the most unexpected way from just following her heart and a small picture of the Black Madonna.  The only thing that threw me off track was the worshiping of Our Lady In Chains since I have been raised Christian all my life and my dad is a pastor so the idea of worshiping a statue of the Virgin Mary is a little different.  Of course, the black part doesn't bother me because it may have been that Mary was extremely dark complected, we don't know.  Anyways, the relationship that Lily develops with the sisters, June, August, and May is very knit and even the relationship she had with Rosaleen becomes deeper.  It's not much of  a thriller book, so if you're wishing for lots of adventure, this isn't the book for you.  This is more of an understanding of the deep South, relationships between a mother and daughter, and friendship in general.  An excellent read, but for my more conservative friends, parental advisory.  So, go and pick it up and dream of the thousands bees coming into your room and just circling around and around till you relax to the hum and buzz to the fluttering of their wings. 


http://www.suemonkkidd.com/secretlifeofbees/

No comments:

Post a Comment